Title: Construction Safety Professional
Location: Chicago, IL
Are you an innovative and experienced safety professional with the ability to lead and develop people and corporate safety management systems? We are looking for a candidate who is passionate about leading people and organizations with a goal to develop and grow them into the best they can be!
In this position you will lead and manage high level clients within the Greater Chicago Area and nationally. As the Lead Safety Professional you will interface and communicate with business owners and corporate executives to ensure they are meeting agreed upon targeted objectives within their Safety Management System.
We welcome strong candidates from current Environmental, Health and Safety Directors, Safety Managers, EH&S Managers, Safety Professionals, or Safety Specialists who have a desire to leverage their influence and impact many organizations and workers. With our headquarters in Naperville, IL we service clients within the Greater Chicago Area, throughout Illinois as well as nationally.
Our vision at Optimum Safety Management is “Workers Everywhere Valued and Safe”. To fulfil this vision Optimum partners with our clients to achieve best practices in workplace safety management, resulting in significant gains in engagement, productivity, and profitability. We provide an innovative, structured, and sustainable approach to safety management to meet the needs of our clients.
We are seeking qualified Safety Professionals that are dedicated to delivering the best experience and results for our clients while exhibiting our core values.
- Safety – We never unnecessarily risk the well-being of an individual.
- Excellence – We exceed expectations in all we do.
- Integrity – We mean what we say. We deliver what we promise.
- Communication – We carefully listen and clearly communicate.
- Teamwork – We partner with others, valuing everyone’s input.
- Innovation – We deliver inventive solutions.
Candidates should have the ability to: partner with a variety of people to successfully provide solutions to safety related concerns, and apply systematic approaches to safety related needs and issues; solve problems by providing guidance and advice to management or other groups on technical, systems, or process-related occupational safety topics; develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with others, and maintain them over time; and develop and build effective teams with mutual trust, respect, and cooperation among team members. In addition, this individual will play a critical role in creating, implementing, and maintaining organized safety cultures for our new and existing clients.
The essential job functions of this position include:
- Manage client accounts at a high level including:
- communicating with & leading business owners and corporate executives;
- communicating with & leading front line managers and supervisors; and
- organizing, managing and leading internal Safety Professional employees to service client accounts in order to meet targeted objectives.
- Develop safety and health written programs, training programs and conduct training for topics including but not limited to:
- Cranes & Rigging
- Excavation & Trenching
- Fall Protection
- Steel Erection
- Electrical Safety
- Confined Spaces
- Conduct Safety Leadership Team and Claims Management Team meetings to drive an improved culture of safety.
- Conduct safety surveys and provide innovative recommendations for corrective compliance.
- Manage OSHA inspections and incident investigations.
- Lead as a positive role model for internal Safety Professionals.
- Must be able to work on teams as well as independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Expected work week is 50 hours with 40 hours of client billable work.
- Work typically occurs during normal business hours, but may also include nights and weekends as required by project schedules.
- Travel up to ~25% – Travel may include single overnight trips up to and including week long assignments.
- Minimum 5 years of progressive environmental, health, and safety experience, including three years of management experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Environmental Sciences, or equivalent degree.
- Certification requirements include:
- CHST or OHST
- ASP or CSP a plus
- OSHA Outreach Trainer
- Train-the-trainer (Flagger, Skidsteer, Aerial Work Platforms, Signal Person, Forklift, First Aid/CPR, etc.)
- Developing and implementing Safety Management Systems in a construction environment;
- Working closely with executive management and front line management to drive Safety Management Systems;
- Interpreting and applying legal requirements and company standards;
- Providing guidance and technical assistance on Safety and Health matters;
- Analyzing and researching operational and strategic information and determining actions;
- PC skills; Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); and other applications as needed;
- Strong communication skills and ability to partner with management team on executing business plans;
- Solid analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Bi-Lingual English/Spanish also a plus