Title: Part-Time – Field Industrial Hygienist – Respirable Crystalline Silica Technician
Location: Chicago, IL
Are you a self-motivated and experienced industrial hygienist looking for a flexible opportunity to provide field technician services for the general industry and/or construction sectors? We are looking for a candidate who is exited to work with our clients as it relates to OSHA’s new respirable crystalline silica standard!
In this position you will support the efforts of our Lead Safety Professionals to ensure our clients are meeting agreed upon targeted objectives within their Safety Management System as it relates to silica exposure monitoring.
Our vision at Optimum Safety Management is “Workers Everywhere Valued and Safe”. To fulfil this vision Optimum partners with our clients to achieve best practices in workplace safety management, resulting in significant gains in engagement, productivity, and profitability. We provide an innovative, structured, and sustainable approach to safety management to meet the needs of our clients. With our headquarters in Naperville, IL we service clients within the Greater Chicago Area, throughout Illinois as well as nationally.
We are seeking qualified Industrial Hygienists that are dedicated to delivering the best experience and results for our clients while exhibiting our core values.
- Safety – We never unnecessarily risk the well-being of an individual.
- Excellence – We exceed expectations in all we do.
- Integrity – We mean what we say. We deliver what we promise.
- Communication – We carefully listen and clearly communicate.
- Teamwork – We partner with others, valuing everyone’s input.
- Innovation – We deliver inventive solutions.
The essential job functions of this position include:
- Perform air monitoring for respirable crystalline silica in accordance to the procedure set by the Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) at construction sites and precast manufactures,
- Proper documentation of activities conducted during air monitoring,
- Develop reports of air monitoring results for review by the CIH,
- Must be able to work on teams as well as independently with minimal direct supervision.
- Work typically occurs during normal business hours, but may also include nights and weekends as required by project schedules, and may include extended shifts beyond 8 hours
- Travel up to ~75% – Travel may include single overnight trips up to and including week or longer-term assignments
- Bi-Lingual English/Spanish a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety, Environmental Sciences, or equivalent degree.
- 1-5 years of industrial hygiene experience
- Note taking, observation of contractor work, field documentation
- Knowledge of applicable OSHA standards for respirable crystalline silica
- Understanding of building construction. Understanding of precast manufacturing is a plus.
- PC skills; Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook); and other applications as needed;
- Certification requirements include:
- CHST or OHST a plus
- CIH a plus
- ASP or CSP a plus